What do I need to take to an interview with my employer?


  • Resume or CV – employers need to know your previous work experience. If you do not have a resume you are able to create one within the Ozwork members section.
  • Two working reference - if they're overseas references you should still provide current contact information.
  • Australian Bank Account Number (BSB and Account number e.g..BSB 999-999 Account 12345678910)
  • Identification - Preferably with picture.
  • Passport - If your are from another country apart from Australia.
  • Tax File Number

Further information which might improve your success of application includes:

  • Blue Card - This is a national safety induction card needed to work on any building site.
  • License - If you have any licence's e.g.. car or truck licence.
  • Machinery Tickets - Please bring any proof of ticket qualification, e.g. loader ticket.
  • Trade Qualification - please bring your certificate of trade completed, e.g. carpentry.

Who is eligible for a working holiday visa?

Australia has arrangements with 19 countries where passport holders from those 19 countries may apply for an 'Australian Working Holiday Visa' (subclass 417).

The 19 countries that have access to this visa include:
The United Kingdom, Canada, Netherlands, Japan, Republic of Ireland, Republic of Korea, Malta, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Hong Kong, Finland, Cyprus, France, Italy, Belgium, Estonia and Taiwan.

Ozwork have plenty of job opportunities available for you to be eligible for the second year visa within regional areas, as well as metropolitan suited for your travels.

Please visit for more information on Australian Working Holiday Visas.

What happens if I am not from one of these specified countries?

If you are not classified above you may be eligible for the Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462). This visa is for people from Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey and the USA. An arrangement with Bangladesh has also been signed, but is not yet in effect. For more information on this visa please go to

How do I lodge my first or second year working holiday visa?

The application for your visa can be done either online or by post once the forms are completed (below) and a certified copy of your passport has been organised, you can apply either online or by post. You can start your online application at Australia’s Government website: this application can be saved and continued for both First and Second Working Holiday Visa’s.

For written applications you need to submit your First Year Working Holiday Visa to any department office outside Australia. For Second Year Working Holiday Visa’s applicant’s within Australia you need to post your application to PO Box 1269, Cairns, Qld, 4870. For more information on written applications visit The cost for both the First and Second Year Visa’s is $235.

How long will it take to process my visa?

Your First Working Holiday visa should take about approximately 6 Days, and the Second Working Holiday Visa usually takes about 21 Days. Processing times will be longer if additional information is required such as medical requirements. To enquire about your individual application, please contact the department. There contact details for the department outside and within Australia can be found at

What does regional work mean?

If you are looking to extend your Second Working Holiday Visa you will need to work in some specific areas and industries of Australia. Areas allowed to work in have been assigned by the Australian government, but basically includes all areas outside metropolitan cities. The industries and some example jobs covered include:

Plant and Animal Industries

  • cultivating plants (tractor driving work)
  • maintenance of crop (driving a spray rig)
  • harvesting (fruit picking, driving a combine in a wheat harvest)
  • processing of animal products (shearing hand)
  • immediate processing of plant products (bailing cotton at gin)
  • maintaining animals for commercial sale (stock hand, fencer)
  • manufacturing dairy products (a dairy farmhand)
  • pruning and trimming vines and trees (trimming table grape vines)

Fishing Industry

  • commercial fishing (working on a prawn trawler)
  • tree farming and felling
  • felling trees in a plantation (lumberjack)
  • planting trees which are intended to be felled (plant seedlings)
  • transporting trees (driving truck to timber mill)


  • coal mining (driving a mining dump truck)
  • construction (building conveyer belts on mining site)
  • exploration (geologist on drilling project)
  • metal ore mining (electrician on a gold mine site)
  • mining support services (workplace health and safety officer)
  • oil and gas extraction (offsider on gas drilling)
  • other, non-metallic mining (driving frontend loader in quarry)


  • building (carpenter, form worker, plumber)
  • civil engineering construction (civil labourer on new railway project)
  • land development (laser leveling)
  • non-residential services (building amenities in a national park)

(we can cater for other industries regionally, for example hospitality, however this will not count towards specified work to gain a second year visa)

Do I need a car?

Its not necessary but will be advantageous especially for regional work. Australia's bus network throughout regional areas will get you to almost everywhere you need to go. However some jobs usually require a team of 3-5 people so in these circumstances it would be very beneficial to buy a car between yourselves.

What happens if I don't have experience?

Some jobs don't require experience, fruit picking for example. As long as you are a good listener to what the tasks are and show good work ethics to get the job done you will have no problems.

Is it essential to get a Tax File Number (TFN)?

YES. You will need a TFN within 28 days of starting work or else you will pay around 48% tax on your pay. With a TFN your pay will be taxed at a nominal rate somewhere between 15% and 29%.
To obtain a TFN visit -

How much money will I earn?

Every job will be different, but in most circumstances you should expect something in between $16 and $25 per hour before tax. If your qualifications meet the criteria for some related jobs this could be significantly increased. For employment situations where board and/or food (keep) is provided negotiations between the employer and employee are customary and usually a deduction off wages earned is calculated.

What is superannuation?

Every Australian employer has to pay an extra 9% of before tax pay towards a retirement saving fund. It basically forces Australians to save 9% there gross earnings of their working lives, and be able to access this sum when they retire. For more information visit

If you are a non-resident you can claim this money back from the government when you leave Australia.

What about insurance?

If you are injured at work your employer will have you covered by 'Workers Compensation Insurance'. This insurance covers you whilst you are at work “only”.

If you have any other questions please reach us on our contact page.